Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ladybug, ladybug

My honeysuckle, shown below in a picture from last summer, I discovered is full of aphids. So today I went to Bakerview Nursery and bought a container of ladybugs.


The instructions said to keep the closed container in the refrigerator until use and to release the ladybugs under the plant that's infested in the early evening--first having sprinkled the ground with water.

The guys at the nursery said if you open it during the day, they'll just fly away. The instructions said that they don't fly at night, but they will be attracted to the moisture you've prepared, and they'll apparently crawl around getting a drink and generally checking things out. Many will fly away in the morning. Hopefully, some will stick around and snack on aphids. Also, hopefully, some will lay eggs, which will hatch and the larvae will also eat aphids. It can take a few weeks to be fully effective.

I hope it works. The trouble with sprays to kill aphids is that they usually say to spray the leaves front and back, like you can stand there turning every leaf on a very full plant front and back. Also, I don't like to get bug spray on my fingers, and I don't want to breathe it. 

But ladybugs, if they stick around, will be motivated by hunger and appetite to seek out and eat the aphids. We'll see if it works.

A single ladybug is kind of pretty, but a container about the size of a tupperware dish full of them is not as attractive. The lid had lots of air holes, and lots of lady bugs were clinging to the bottom of the lid, so when you looked at it you were seeing the underside of the insects, with many twitchy little insect legs in evidence. I wet the soil under the honeysuckle, then carefully took off the lid and scattered them on the soil. Many were still clinging to the lid and dish, so I left them there, too, so the bugs could crawl out at their own pace.

Ladybug! Ladybug! Fly away home!
Your house is on fire; your children will burn.

That's version I know (another version). But I want my ladybugs to think of this honeysuckle plant as their home and not fly away anywhere else.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi just found your blog. How are the lady bugs doing? would love to follow

Rob said...

It will be interesting to see how well this method works.