Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ugh

My cold is progressing--if progress is the word--through its stages. Today it descended into my chest so that I have a croupy-sounding cough. I sometimes feel cold and other times break into a sweat, which I suppose is a fever spiking and breaking. I have enough of a headache that I wonder if this is a cold or influenza.

If I recall correctly, both colds and flu are viral and not treatable by antibiotics, so not much to do but stay home and rest. A dear friend and co-worker transported my dog home from my niece's house, where he had been staying, so I have the comfort of cuddling up with him in my illness. I hope whatever I have cannot be passed from human to dog.

I remember the character Mary Richards, of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, saying that a cold is three days coming, three days with you, and three days going. Today is day three of my symptoms. They began on Tuesday as I traveled. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile my eyes ache right now, so I think it's time for more Advil and bed.

My mom called and advised me to drink lots of fluids. She needn't have bothered. She long ago instilled a voice in my head that tells me that.

No comments: