Saturday, April 13, 2013

The bouquet residence

On the already cluttered top of my dishwasher, I have three hyacinths.



The empty pop tart box is there to prop up one that is starting to fall over. That is a thing hyacinths seem to do.

They're pretty enough, but I didn't buy them for their looks but for their fragrance. A couple years ago when I went to the Home and Garden Show in early March, I was longing for spring at the tail end of winter -- February is a hard month, and the Home and Garden Show is usually the first weekend in March, sort of the first sign of spring.

Anyway, when I walked into the garden section of exhibit, such lovely colors everywhere and -- heavenly -- a fresh, sweet fragrance. I tried not to be obvious in sniffing around various blooms to try to find the source, and it turned out to be some hyacinth.

So a week or so ago when I saw hyacinth at Safeway I picked up a few and brought them home just to make the place smell good, and it worked. They're starting to fade a bit now, but for a week or so I would come home to a lovely fragrance in my house.

And, of course, no mention of hyacinth is complete without:


No comments: