Thursday, March 14, 2013

Far to go

When I was in high school, I had a friend who, before I knew her, had a friend in grade school. My friend told me that she and her earlier friend, on Thursdays, would say to each other, "It's Thuhsday, dahling." I thought that was funny and I told my dad about it and he thought it was funny, too. To this day my dad and I will occasionally say to each other, "It's Thuhsday, dahling," even though it's a joke once or twice removed from us, the origins of which are obscure.

So to my vast readership: "It's Thuhsday, dahlings."

Meanwhile, according to Mother Goose, Thursday's child has far to go:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living;
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

I was born on Saturday, wouldn't you just know.

Friday's Child is also a novel by Georgette Heyer.




No comments: