Monday, March 9, 2009

Changeable weather

This morning when I walked my dog it was cold and blowing out.

Later, when I drove to work, it was cold, blowing, and snowing. The road was so covered with packed snow and ice that when I braked for a red light my car slid. And when I started to drive from the red light it slid again. Traffic on the Hannegan slowed to 10 miles per hour and visibility was terrible. I became so distressed by the driving conditions that I turned around and came home. Not long after I was home, I took this video.



That weather lasted all morning. After lunch, I loaded my dishwasher and started it. Between the rhythmic swishing of the dishwasher and the after effects of "springing ahead" this weekend, I fell asleep. When I woke up, around 2:00 p.m., the sun was streaming in the windows. The snow was melting and dripping away. I looked on some online webcams and roads were clear, if wet. So I went into work in Bellingham for a few hours.

When I left work, towards 6:00 p.m., the sun was still shining in Bellingham, though the wind was cold. On the car radio, I heard predictions of nighttime lows in the teens and strong winds from the north during the night. As I got home in Lynden, the cloud cover increased. When I walked the dog after his supper, it was cold and blowing again.

So that's the story of today's weather. Chills, thrills, but mercifully no spills.

No comments: