Saturday, March 21, 2009

Animal antics

This morning I've been watching our birdfeeder. First I saw some sweet little finch-type birds. Later a big gray squirrel sitting on top of the feeder then crawling right inside it. Later a mourning dove and the little finchy birds again. Then, a black squirrel. I was thinking, how can I get rid of those squirrels?

Suddenly a yellow tabby cat that had apparently been on or near my deck dashed across the lawn toward the feeder. The two squirrels frantically leaped from the feeder into tree branches that rocked and swayed under them. The cat sat under the tree with its ears laid back and its tail switching. It stared angrily at the squirrels and licked its lips. Finally, it trotted away. Now little finchies are on the feeder again. And there's the mourning dove.

When I saw the cat chase the squirrels, I laughed and said, "Thank you, Mr. Kitty." That made my dog jump off the couch and run to a chair by the window to see what what going on. I guess he didn't see much, though, because he soon returned to the couch.

No comments: