Monday, June 11, 2007

Still on the sunny side

My deck has a sunny, south-facing, side and the herbs and veggies are there, as well as these.

Peppermint. This kind of goes with my love of herbs. Peppermint needs its own pot because it spreads so much.

Heliotrope. Even the name refers to "helios"--the sun. I'm told this was a plant my flower-growing grandma liked. It kind of reminds me of lilac in color and the shape of the flowers--like miniature lilac. It has a sweet scent, too.


And lavender. There's something romantic about the mere idea of lavender. Lovely ladies scenting their wardrobes with it, and so on. These are young ones, so they're taller and skinnier. Ideally lavender plants should be sort of ball-shaped at the leaves, with the flower stalks growing above them. I love, love, love the smell of lavender. These buds are not open yet. I'm an anglophile, so I choose English lavender; there are many other varieties.

No comments: