Monday, June 11, 2007

The shady side

On the shady side of the deck, I have two whisky barrels with impatiens, a shade-loving flower, in the middle, and creeping jenny around the circumference.
The creeping jenny will grow over the edges and cascade down the sides. The impatiens will fill in the center. I think these are double-impatiens, with more petals. They look a little more rose-like.

This is a pretty variegated-leaf plant called "burgundy wedding veil," or solenostemon hybrida. I have five pots of these on the wall of the deck. They get a little sunshine, but not too much.


Fuschias. I just love these. They will cascade over the pot, too, and have beautiful flowers. I often buy well-started hanging pots of them, but this year to save money I bought these twiggy hanging pots and three small fuschias to put in each, so they are still pretty small. When they are mature, they attract hummingbirds. I have four pots hanging from the roof of the lower deck (the floor of the upper deck).


At the west end of the deck, I have these hanging pots, two of them. They are lined with coconut matting. I have lobelia on each side, to grow over the edge. In the middle, the red flower is a begonia. This one gets some sun in the late afternoon, but not too much. Lobelia can't take too much sun.

No comments: