Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What's in the oven

I was just over at my sister's blog, reading her review of Dearie, a biography of Julia Child, and I mentioned to her that I've been trying to fix real food lately. Tonight I boiled some small yellow potatoes (because I don't like underdone potatoes) then rolled them around in olive oil, some minced garlic, and rosemary leaves from my own rosemary plant right outside my door. I placed them in a glass baking pan and at the other end of the pan put a meatloaf that I bought fully cooked from Safeway (okay, I cheated there) and put the dish in the oven to heat up and hopefully the potatoes get all crispy on the outside, too.

I actually have not been eating many potatoes because I'm trying to reduce my carbs. I've been buying broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and the like and fixing them by a method my sister recommended, which is to roll them around in olive oil and garlic and then cook them in the oven till they are crispy. Yummy when well-salted. But the reason I did buy some little potatoes was because they just looked so cute there in the produce section, not like the behemoth brown potatoes I ate so reluctantly as a child.

Well, anyway, I should go check on my meal. It would be a shame if it burned.

1 comment:

Mavis said...

Good for you, Jan. Your meal sounds like it'll be delicious. Glad you're trying the roasted vegetables. I love potatoes so I have a hard time not including them in every meal! Bon appetit!