Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Other movie news

Some time ago, I predicted that in May I would see two movies, Prince Caspian and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I have seen Prince Caspian, twice in fact. I really, really liked it. I don't know why. I guess it was just visually very, very attractive.

And I've gone with my sister-in-law and nephew to two less block-bustery movies. A while back we saw Then She Found Me, based on the book by Elinor Lipman. It retained some of the book storyline, that of a woman whose biological mother finds her, and added a second storyline, of the woman wanting to have a child of her own. It was more a mixture of comedy and sadness than the book was. It was good. And it had Colin Firth in it.

Then, this weekend, we went to see Mongol [warning: loud music at link]. We saw a preview for it before Then She Found Me and were intrigued. It's the story of the early life and rise to power of Genghis Khan. It had some beautiful cinematography, as well as quite a lot of violence, complete with CG blood splatters. Ew. But I still liked it. Supposedly, it's the first of a trilogy. I wonder how long until the next two come out.

So I still haven't seen Indiana Jones. It's not that I have a disinclination, I just haven't gotten around to it. I wonder if it's still in town. Maybe I'll have to buy the DVD. I just looked online at some Bellingham theaters, and it's still at Sunset. We'll see.

No comments: