Thursday, February 7, 2008

Misreading

I was looking at Steven Graydanus's year in review of movies, and he had one category, "Worth Noting." At first I thought it said "Worth Nothing," and I was surpised by some of the titles listed. I misread words and phrases as different but similar words fairly frequently if I'm not careful. I did not do that when I was younger; this is a middle-aged phenomenon. The only other specific example I can think of was quite a while back when I had a Land's End catalog that had sheets and pillowcases on the cover. I read the slogan as "Beige Dreams," which made some sense, given some tan colors in the picture. But later when I picked the catalog up to look at it, I saw it said, "Dream Big."

Come to think of it, I haven't gotten a Land's End catalog for a little while now. I think it's been too long since I bought anything. If I ever make one purchase, I start getting several catalogs a week. I don't mind. Gives me something to peruse in the bathroom.

My sister likes to look at catalogs and fold the page over on products she likes. That doesn't mean she'll order them, or even ever open the catalog again. She just does it.

My dad is an L.L. Bean guy.

What are your catalog habits?

Are you a misreader?

No comments: