Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm a believer

Sounds like I'll be talking about my religion, right? But, no, I'm thinking of a Monkees song that I like. The Monkees were big when I was in about first or second grade. My best friend "liked" Davy Jones of that group. I "liked" Bobby Sherman, not of that group. For a seven-year-old, I had a pretty good eye for cute guys.

When I was in college, I was fortunate to go on an interim (three-week intensive class) called "Theatre in London." We went to London and went to plays. Nice work if you can get it. :-) It was January, 1983. One play we saw was Tom Stoppard's The Real Thing, which dealt with themes of what is real love and what is real art. The central character is a playwright who is a stickler for real art in drama, but whose taste in music is, to his embarrassment, limited to pop singles. The play ends with the curtain going down to "I'm a Believer." I loved the play and by association I realized what a cool song "I'm a Believer" is. So here's a youtube of the Monkees singing it:



Also at youtube is this version by the group Smash Mouth, which apparently was a tie-in to the movie Shrek. I've never seen Shrek, but I like this video:

Oops. The embed function is disabled, proabably because this video seems to flash a different movie ad across the bottom of the screen each time you watch it. So it's a promo for someone, most likely Universal Studios. So here's a link instead.

2 comments:

JS said...

Hi Jan,
"I'm a Believer" was my FAVORITE Monkees song and ever after Mickey Dolenz was my favorite Monkee. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the YouTube video on your blog. When Smash Mouth resurrected the song (written by Neil Diamond) for Shrek, I was entranced. Shrek is a wonderful movie, by the way, if you're in the mood for a heartwarming (and quite romantic) story I'd recommend it as a rental. Your photo of the sunlight on the deck stairway is very nice. -Jan (Seerveld)

Janette Kok said...

Thanks, Jan! Jan.