Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Snow and forgetfulness

 This time the predicted storm did show up. I woke up in the morning to couple inches of snow and now (early afternoon) a few more inches. I am snug inside.

Rosamond bounds into the snow.

My dogs have varying reactions to the snow. Beatrice, my chihuahua mix, has no interest at all in going out in the snow. Meanwhile, Rosamond finds it exciting and goes leaping through the drifts. Benedict, the chiweenie, follows Rosamond's lead but is not quite as eager to jump around in what, to small dogs, is deep snow—especially for Benedict, with his short, wiener-dog legs.

I don't like to leave them outside too long in the cold, so they're all back inside. I can hear my nephew and his little girl playing in the snow. My dogs hear them too. so Benedict keeps barking. He's the barkiest of the three. I keep sternly telling him, "No! Be quiet!" which is often effective for up to a minute and a half.

I was sitting at my desk this morning when I suddenly recalled, with a sense of panic, that I have jury duty this week. I've been supposed to call the jury message line the past three evenings to find out if I need to come in the following day. I completely spaced it. So I called the number and the message says no jurors are needed this week. Phew. I trust that is true retrospectively to Monday. If I missed showing up when I was supposed to, no doubt I will hear about it. I believe that failing to appear in response to a summons is contempt of court. In my case, it was not contempt but oblivion. I'll have to throw myself on the mercy of the court, if the need arises.

No comments: