Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Being the tortoise

Tuesday. This is the second day of what I consider my true retirement. Although my last full day of work was at the end of December, the first week of January consisted of holiday and vacation days, so I still was employed. I did go into the office at the end of Friday for my own retirement party. That was so nice. Present and past co-workers said lovely things to me and gave me lovely gifts. 

Then was a weekend, which, of course, I would have had off even if I were working. Then yesterday was Monday, my first non-working work day. 

I have the goal for the start of my retirement to get my house clean, organized, and de-cluttered. I have made some progress yesterday and today. Small progress, but I tell myself that any progress is progress. I will not internalize any discouraging words trying to convince me that small progress isn’t good enough. I'm like the tortoise in "The Tortoise and the Hare." Slow and steady wins the race.

My dad used to say, "We're off like a herd of turtles," so there you go.

One thing I did over the past couple days is lay in supplies, in case we get a blizzard (Northeaster) that weather people are saying is possible. I also have some paperwork that I need to complete related to a source of income.

Another thing to anticipate is jury duty. I’ve received a summons. Now I have all the time in the world to spend on a jury if I am selected. I’ll have to call in every evening to see if I must report to the courthouse. As a legal assistant, I visited the courthouse fairly often in the course of my job. The last time I was there, I thought that it would be the last time I was there. The joke’s on me. Maybe. I may just call in every night and never have to show up.

Morning view from my deck chair while the dogs frolic. I'm in no rush.


3 comments:

Mavis said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations and blessings on this new chapter in your life! lysmm

Anonymous said...

My dad used to say the same thing! Congratulations on retiring and all the best. Enjoy the slower pace! - Lori Schwabenbauer

Anonymous said...

Best wishes, Jan, and congratulations on the commencement of a new life!