Thursday, November 28, 2019

Give thanks

Today is Thanksgiving. I had dinner with my sister-in-law, my niece and her husband, and their four children. Two of the "children" are adults now. The other two are teenagers. It was a nice time together. Good food, good company, as they say.

It was a chilly day. We're having some gusty winds and cold temperatures. It was sunny, though. A pretty day.

Thanksgiving marks the beginning of Christmas season in the popular culture here in the U.S. Several of my neighbors have Christmas lights up. I imagine more will put them up tomorrow. For several weeks, my nighttime drives will be brightened by the display.

I had two firsts of my own for the holiday season. I drank my first glass of eggnog (with a dollop of whiskey), and I listened to Handel's Messiah for the first time. Eggnog starts showing up in stores around Halloween already. I love eggnog immoderately, so I make myself wait until Thanksgiving to start having any. As to the Messiah, perhaps I misspoke to say I listened to it, because I slept through much of it. That tryptophan coma, you know. I dozed off in "Comfort ye my people" and woke up at "All they that see him laugh him to scorn." So I was able to hear the trumpet solo, and the Hallelujah Chorus, and the rest.

So, a quiet, pleasant day. Now I still have days off ahead of me. I love a loooong weekend.

No comments: