Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Good for what ails ya

Today I am thankful for modern medicine. Over the course of my lifetime:

Antibiotics saved my life when I had spinal meningitis.

I had hyperparathyroidism, which causes kidney stones, depression, and sometime osteoporosis. Surgery cured me.

I had kidney stones accompanied by severe nausea. Anti-nausea drugs kept me from the discomfort and dehydration of endless vomiting. Narcotics eased my pain. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy broke up the large stones without invasive surgery so I could pass them, and a scope procedure and temporary stent took care of complications.

Thyroid issues were affecting my emotional well-being. Surgery and pharmaceuticals have provided equilibrium.

General anesthesia made surgical procedures painless.

I had a severe allergic reaction to an ointment I used on my skin. Prednisone brought it under control.

And the list goes on.

Last night, as a result of holding and using the leaf blower for a long time, my arm was sore. When I went to bed, it throbbed with pain. I took an ibuprofen and fell asleep. I woke up an hour later still in pain. I took another ibuprofen. I slept all night and felt fine in the morning. Now my arm feels a little sore again. I took some ibuprofen and am eagerly waiting for it to kick in.

No comments: