Monday, February 20, 2012

Sightseeing

I had today off from work for Presidents Day. This morning when I was just about to walk my dog I glanced out the window and saw a big blue heron standing right in our back yard. I found my camera, but by the time I had turned it on and aimed it, he had taken off. I tried to take a picture of him as he started flying but ended up with a blurry picture of one of the support posts of the upper deck. So here is a picture from Wikipedia of the kind of bird it was:

This file is licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Attribution: Mbz1 at en.wikipedia.
I took my camera with me outside, but had to settle for some less exciting pictures of the following signs of spring:

Young chives sending up blades in my herb barrel.
 
Leaves budding on my honeysuckle.
Since I had the day off, I took my folks for a drive around the county. My dad likes to do that. First we took a look at the drying tower of the Darigold milk-drying plant (i.e. it turns milk into powdered milk), where there was a fire Saturday night. Then we drove out to the country road where my dad grew up and drove the length of the road, and then we just meandered around the county looking at berry fields, houses, and the countryside in general.

It was nice having the day off. Tomorrow it's back to work.

No comments: