Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Humor is a funny thing

I once loaned a novel by Barbara Pym to a friend, assuring her it was hilarious. She didn't find it funny. I have been re-reading my Barbara Pym novels and tonight laughed at these two sections of An Unsuitable Attachment

[A somewhat prissy male character asks out his female co-worker.] "I suppose these clothes will be all right?" she said. "I hadn't expected to be going out."

"Oh, a woman always looks suitably dressed in a grey costume," he said, in a way which did not add to her feeling of gaity.

[At the restaurant:] "Now I can recommend the pate because Eric makes it all himself from pig's liver and fat bacon."

Ianthe felt sickened by this description and chose soup instead.

You read those, and either they are funny to you or they are not. To me, they are.

No comments: