Sunday, August 7, 2011

Indoor plants

My African violet is blooming. I should take another picture this afternoon when the sun touches the blooms.


I have four pots crowded onto the counter by my kitchen sink, because that's where the sunlight is. The window over my sink gets the late afternoon sun. Some years ago, our neighbor on that side planted a row of evergreens along the property line (more or less -- the row actually strays back and forth across the line), and they have grown rapidly, so the western side of the house gets less sunlight than it used to, but still some.


Of these four plants, all but the spider plant in front were part of a floral arrangement I received from my boss and co-worker when I was recovering from a medical procedure a year or two ago. The spider plant is a "baby" I started from the larger spider plant in my bedroom. You know, perhaps, that a spider plant will throw out a runner and grow a mini-plant at the end of it. I wasn't sure how to root those. I tried sticking a couple in some water, but they just rotted. So I tried sticking a couple in a this pot of dirt and they took root. One subsequently died, but this one is still living and growing.

No comments: