Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Out on the west side

Along the side of the house, where there are steps, I planted some ground cover. I hope it works. It is supposed to spread and create a "mat."


I chose a variety that seemed to be called "Veronica," followed by two other words, one of which was "blue." It has blue flowers. I hope it does spread and both crowd out weeds and also look pretty.


Right outside my kitchen window, I planted two French lavender. Although it is not hardy enough to survive even a mild Western Washington winter, I buy some of these every year because they smell so good. The idea here is, if they thrive, every evening when the zephyr blows gently through my open window, it will waft in the lovely fragrance of this lavender. How romantic is that?


I first bought this kind of lavender a couple years ago. I was at Hi Hoe Nursery with my sister-in-law, and she had picked up a starter plant. I was not attracted by its looks, so I didn't take one. Then, while she was talking to me, my sister-in-law gestured with the hand holding the little lavender. Even that small movement sent the sweet smell over to me a couple feet away. I was so enchanted that I bought some for myself and have done so each year since. This year I bought these two to plant in the ground by the window, and two others for pots on my deck.

No comments: