Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday, April 1, 2010

Today is Maundy Thursday. Based on the Gospels, this evening is the evening when Jesus washed his disciples feet, celebrated the Passover with them and, in that context, instituted the Lord's Supper, then progressed to the Garden of Gethsemane, where he prayed to be spared death but submitted to his Father's will, then was betrayed by Judas and arrested.

There is so much to think about and take in on this night. My heart is always moved by Jesus' acknowledgment to his disciples in Gethsemane that his own heart was sorrowful even unto death--Matthew 26:28:

"My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death" - King James Version

"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death" - New International Version

This, and the anguish of his prayer to the Father to take this cup from him, "yet not my will but yours be done" (Luke 22:32), "And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground" (Luke 22:44).

When we read these passages, we cannot take his sacrifice lightly. As the great hymn says, "What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest friend, for this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end? O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be, Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee."

No comments: