Sunday, January 31, 2010

Spring in January?

We've had an exceptionally warm January. My honeysuckle thinks it's spring.

It's sending out leaves.

And this pansy is spreading and getting new blooms.

If we get some mild freezes before real spring, I'm not too worried about the pansies. They were hardy enough to survive this winter. Plus pansies are often plentiful and cheap not only in nurseries but outside the local grocery stores. I spent a bit more on the honeysuckle; I forget how much, but over $10 I think, and last summer was the first summer I planted it, so I don't know how it takes severe weather. I bought it to try to attract hummingbirds. My fear is it will bloom, then the weather will freeze and all the blooms will get killed. Nothing I can do about it, though. It'll either happen or it won't, no matter what I do. So I might as well get a good night's sleep.

I'll wake up tomorrow and it will be a month closer to spring.

No comments: