Monday, November 30, 2009

Child of the Seventies

They say the sixties didn't start until 1963 and they ended in the early seventies. I don't know when the seventies started, maybe when miniskirts went out of style, and I and my friends started wearing knee-length (top of the knee, but still miles longer than before) skirts. That would have been when I was in junior high, so maybe about 1974.

What I'm driving at is that I consider Queen a 70s band, or at least my enjoyment of them feels 70s to me, even though the only album of theirs I ever bought, The Game, was released in 1980, and I listened to them mostly in college, which I started in 1979.

And the Muppets were definitely a 70s phenomenon. That was the time of the original Muppet Show, when Jim Henson (may he rest in peace) was still alive and voicing Kermit the Frog.

And all this to wonder if I love the following more because I am a child of the seventies.

First, the classic "Bohemian Rhapsody," by Queen, who made a music video before there were music videos:



Then, a new classic, by the classic performers, the Muppets:



Words fail me when I try to express how much I enjoy this. I can only stammer, "The chickens . . . buck, buck . . . Animal . . . Beaker . . . Bunsen Honeydew . . . the cows . . . so many familiar faces from the past." I love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly stand it! This is SO great!

Janette Kok said...

Thank you!