Saturday, November 7, 2009

Catkins and colors

As the leaves fall from my contorted filbert, the beautiful twisted branches come back into view. Those yellow pods are called "catkins." According to Wikipedia, pale yellow catkins on a filbert are male, while female catkins are small and red. I can't figure out from what I have read whether the whole tree is male or female, as I believe hollies are, or whether the same plant bears both kinds of flowers. I don't see any female catkins, but I haven't looked hard.

These are the leaves of a Japanese maple on the street where I walk my dog. Such a brilliant red.

My dad cleared the leaves off my deck, and to facilitate his work, he made this interesting arrangement of the chairs, hiking them over the retaining wall.

Here is some color in the yard.

No comments: