Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cascading fuchsias

Last May I planted these fuchsias with the autumnal-colored leaves with a calla lily in the center of the pot. I hoped that the fuchsias would grow and cascade over the edges of the pot and the calla lily would grow lush and magnificent, as some have for me in the past in this same location.
Well, below is a picture of the pot this morning. For some reason my calla lily this year did not thrive and neither did the one I had last year. I think it's because they were some different "variety" instead of just the plain "calla lily." Next year I'll go to a nursery for exactly what I want in calla lily instead of buying from in front of a grocery store. However, I am very pleased with the way the fuchsia has grown. It is a bit longer on one side than the other because that's where the morning sun hits, but still it's beautiful 
Notice the sunlight. It was such a pretty day today, sunny and mild, just perfect.

3 comments:

Mission Hills Nursery said...

Janette I happened upon your blog and wanted to let you know that yes you are correct, wrong type of calla. What the grocery stores sell are not the regular calla which is called a Zantedeschia. Easy to grow just stop into your local garden center.

Janette Kok said...

Yes, every year in gardening I learn from my mistakes the year before.

Mission Hills Nursery said...

Gardening is all about learning that's what keeps us going back for more.
As we say at Mission Hills Nursery........
"Life's a Garden, Dig It!"

keep getting your hands dirty and you'll keep learning