Monday, March 19, 2007

Losing Cathy Seipp

Update: Cathy Seipp died yesterday, March 21. Rest in peace.

One of my two favorite bloggers, Cathy Seipp, is apparently in her final days. She is dying of lung cancer; she was not a smoker but one of the few who get it anyway. Her blog, Cathy's World, is one of the two I'll check every day. (The other is James Lileks' Bleat.) She was so smart and funny and plain spoken. Her daughter, a freshman in college, posted on Cathy's blog that Cathy has reached a point of "trying to keep her comfortable" (my own family went through that last autumn with my brother), with the prediction that she has only a day or two left. I'm sorry for Maia to endure such a loss at that age.

Cathy Seipp would not know who I am. Although she had a clique of devoted commenters, I only posted a comment twice, if I recall, and then only under my initials. But I enjoyed her company. I hope her end comes peacefully, and that her daughter, father, and friends find comfort.

No comments: